Thursday 19 January 2012

pathway Prroject working away...

Following the tutorial sessions on Monday, I've been doing more work on creating pages of a-semic writing of various sizes.  On Monday I drew some text pages onto transparencies, in order to create a printing screen.  

But these transparencies offered another idea for extending the project into a new dimension.  Layering the transparencies one on top of the other produces very interesting complex images, where the text, which is already un-readable - becomes even more illegible because you can see through one layer of text to those below.    I am not sure how I could present these without a light-box....

I have also scanned some of the A4 pages into my computer, not yet quite sure what I'll do with these, but it does offer the possibility of manipulating them in various easy, to further distort or re-scale them.   I can also flip them upside down and front to back, which would be interesting with script which si already unintelligible.

I realise it would be interesting, too, to play around with some 'proper' printed or handwritten script in these ways, to see at what point they become illegible, and turn form recognisable script with meaning, into 'drawings' and patterns which have a different validity as 'not-writing'.

I am not sure whether my printer would accept cartridge paper, but I intend to try, to see if this would be a way of printing my script.

I have it in mind now to do two things.  One , is to produce a lot of pages and fix them together in some way, possibly as a series of accordion books, so that they can then be hung to display a large number of the pages on a wall.  Secondly, to reduce the scale and bind pages of tiny script into done or more tiny books - again, they will be illegible, but will also be easy to handle,  Something about the accessibility of information...

I am increasingly amazed at how much depth there is win what at first seems like a simple project.  The more you play, and look, and think, the more possibilities there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment