Monday 30 January 2012

College 30th January: the great assessment day

Well, the day dawned and I was at college very bright and early in order to hang my huge writing pieces on the wall.  But in fact we had lots of time to get ready, as the art history lecture was postponed so we could concentrate on being nervous.   Everyone put their work up on walls and on tables, so we could all see everyone else's work.

We were all of us  in two groups in the big life room,  rather than two rooms separately, because some of the rooms were too cold to work in, and some staff were absent too, so it was a bit noisy at times and hard to hear everything that was said.  We each had 10 minutes or so to explain our work in the two Pathway projects, and then a further ten minutes for questions and discussion, with points raised both by the tutors and by fellow-students.  The day was intense and long, but extremely interesting, as we had not seen much of each other's work over the past few weeks and it was good to see completed projects and hear people explaining their intentions, and the challenges and triumphs on the way.

Possibly because my writing work was so enormous, this second project took up most of the time in my slot (and the maps project rather less- although this had been 'peer appraised' a month or so ago).   People seemed to genuinely like what I'd done.

This was my huge piece, done at home, on the wall in the life room....


... and my accordion books also hung on the wall together.



I think the various bits of my writing project did, in the end, have coherence and purpose when seen together and with the range of approaches and scale.  The images themselves, especially the bigger ones, looked pretty good.

I'm not sure how much notice the tutors took of my sketchbook work or my research, which was extensive, because a lot of it was recorded in this blog.  I had copied quit a lot of it into my notebooks and files.  But I think I was able to explain myself fairly well.

I hope it all made sense to the tutors.  We will get written feedback next week, and until then must think about the other task for completion now, which is Portfolio Building.

No comments:

Post a Comment