Thursday 26 January 2012

Essay writing!

I have spent the past two days working furiously on my essay, which is about the American artist Ellsworth Kelly, and the influences his work have had on my own.  The research was really interesting, and the writing not too hard, but a bit more challenging than I had at first thought.

Here are two of his paintings which I looked at.

Ellsworth Kelly, Colors for a Large wall, 1951, 96" x 96"


Ellsworth Kelly, Spectrum I, 1953


And here are two of my Spectrum-like quilts.....



I also really enjoyed thinking about the parallels, or not, between his work and some of my won, and how I have consistently used the colour spectrum in ways not that dissimilar to his systematic but also random use of colours.  A good exercise: don;t know why it took me so long to get into doing it!

But the pffaffing about trying to line up images and text, almost impossible.  I gave up with Pages in the end, and downloaded Word for Macs, which made it a whole lot better.

But then, of course, the finished file was enormous, and my e-mail refused to send it.  So I learned a few more tricks about compressing picture files and so on, until it would go.

I am so relieved to have got it down, and amazed at the stress and bother it caused.  I thought writing a short essay would be a doodle - after all, I've spent my whole working life writing reports, and also have done two post-graduate degrees.  But this was still a bit of a struggle, even without the technology issues.

But it feels very good to have completed it (although it is far too long, for which I may yet be penalised) and now I can concentrate on the huge pile of work I still have to do for the assessment day on monday.

And now my e-mail is playing up....

Oh well, on with the 'script' paintings ....

No comments:

Post a Comment