Friday 20 January 2012

Art I like: Josef and Anni Albers

Yet more wandering around on the internet and I came across the Albers Foundation, set up to build on the work of Josef Albers(1888-1976)  (a colourist)  and Anni Albers (1899-1994) (a textile designer/weaver).  Both born in Germany, they met at The Bauhaus in 1922,  married in 1925 and moved to the US in 1933.  They were involved in the newly established Black mountain College in North Carolina, later moving to New England.

Lots more information about them, and their work, is on their website here.  The images below came form here.

Anni's textile weaving caught my eye partly because some of her colours and patterns are similar to one of my recent priced quilt tops., but also because some of her weaving relates to the kind of illegible line work I have been exploring for my Pathway project on writing.  Here are two of her pieces.




She also did drawings of marks rather like writing and letter forms, such as this one




Josef Albers work is all about colour, and his paintings are simple, bold statements about colour and the relationship between different colours and scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment