Saturday 19 November 2011

Pathway Project 1/3 Maps and Contours

Today I got enthusiastic about contours as a way of drawing a landscape.  Looking at various old maps I had in the house, I thought about how to create a 3d version of a contoured landscape.  i decided to cut some imagined landscape contours in a small sketchbook, and idea I had picked up from my research on-line, in a blog by another art student, Heather Bradley, blog here......... for which I am very grateful.

My version looked like this: I got three sets of cuts from one A5 book.   I glued the pages together, but might not do this another time as it would be even better, I think, to have to turn the pages one-by-one to get the full effect.  The photographic images are not brilliant, and as the lines are cut from white paper they are hard to see.  But the effect was quite good, interestingly tactile.






I think I may do more of these, on a bigger scale (size- or depth-wise), or using coloured paper, or cardboard (for added thickness/depth) or using old maps??

No comments:

Post a Comment