Tuesday 22 November 2011

Maps project - more art I like

This morning I came across the work of artist Layla Curtis, whose website is here,  who has done a huge body of work based around maps and mapping.  Lots I liked, but I was especially intreated in her works which are compositions (or videos) based on traced routes around cities or the world, sometimes recorded via GPS technology and sometimes using more traditional methods.

 In some cases, she traces journeys by people (e.g. taxi drivers) but some are following inanimate objects.  Interesting patterns.  
 Message in a Bottle from Ramsgate to the Chatham Islands, live GPS drawing, 2004


 Cab Routes - One Week in London, 2001


 I particularly like her maps made using indices reflecting characteristics of the people who live in a city or country.  These Index maps reflect people's lives, against a generally familiar geographical outline.

World Index, 2004



 Americas Index Drawing2003
Ink on tracing paper, 91cms x 63cms


I am beginning to reel from the sheer volume of work, of all kinds and by a huge range of artists, based on maps and the idea of mapping.  My own humble project could keep me going for a lifetime, and I actually have less than two weeks....






No comments:

Post a Comment