Friday 18 November 2011

Pathway Project 1/2 Maps

This week I have been doing some preliminary work towards my Project on maps.  I really didn't now where to start, so began with what is closest - my house, my street, the places I frequently walk, my route to college, to town, to the theatre, et, etc.

I used an A to Z street map of Bristol, and enlarged, on my home scanner, the section covering my house and the city centre.  I then drew, onto tracing paper, the route I normally take to college, and all the other journeys I frequently make from the house on foot.  Each on a different sheet.  I then repeated the process on transparency film, which gives a clearer view when layered together.  Stacked into piles, they look like this....



I am not too sure what these will lead to.  But I quite like the idea of mounting them vertically, somehow, slightly separated from one another, so they provide a sort of 3D record of my regular walking routes.  A bit like scenery slotted into a toy theatre perhaps.  Or hung from rods like quilts or curtains.  Or else built into a book where the pages can be turned separately but than also be looked at together, seeing through all the layers.




No comments:

Post a Comment