Thursday 10 November 2011

Pathway Project 1/1

I've started work on my first of two Pathway Projects for Foundation this week.  From the list of 8 possible topics, I've focussed on Site/Place/Map and have been doing a lot of thinking and web-based research to get my ideas loosened up.

It's been an interesting journey already.  I'm not sure I made a conscious choice about this, but I began by focussing on the word Map.  I looked at all kinds of references to maps in art - from the old world onwards.  There is just so much out there!  Here's a random selection from among the many images I've found and liked, starting with three textiles images, firstly this by Shannon Rankin


or this by textile artist karen kamenetzky

or this by New York quilt maker Ian Hundley

Printmakers have done lots with maps, such as this by Bristol printmaker Anna Warsop (website link is here)  


Among many current artists using maps, I particularly liked the work of Susan Stockwell, whose work is very varied and original, including using printed maps to make dresses and other objects, and creating maps from unusual materials such as tea bags,  dressmakers patterns, and blank tissue paper.  More of her work here and some images here...








It's been very hard to focus.  And as I've explored the idea of 'map' i've been drawn into other aspects of the theme - Site and Place - and realised that this theme could take me almost anywhere - from site-specific installations, large and small,







through to graffiti and street art,





and onwards into landscape of all kinds,







and indeed into land art.



Too many images to choose form - more on my project folder in due course.

So how to narrow this down to something I want to do, in the space of a month-long project?

I also have to keep my chosen pathway in mind too.  Of course, I'm not entirely sure what that is - so here's a bit of a ramble about how to choose.

I have, so far, done most of my creative work in textiles - and I know I can continue to do this at home and in classes - I know how and where to get inspiration and challenge.  So it makes sense to develop pathways this year which are outside my 'usual' areas, and which take maximum advantage of the college facilities and staff.

Plus,  what are the things I might be able to continue to develop, within the limitations of working at home, after Foundation finishes?  There's no point getting all excited about enamelling, for instance, if I'm never going to have access to a kiln later on.

Adding these things together, I am drawn most to Printmaking, and  - oddly and surprisingly - to Painting.  And of course I can add stitch and textiles and ceramics and digital and photography and sculpture into this mix as the mood takes me.  But a focus on printmaking will be the starting point, and aiming to move towards printmaking in the confirmatory stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment