Thursday 3 May 2012

Quilting inspiration

To the monthly meeting of Bristol Quilters last night, a group I joined last year but have been notably absent form meetings (largely because Wednesday nights also means Red Notes singing and I have had split loyalties).  From now on Quilting will win out every fourth week.

It was an interesting presentation from Hilary Gooding, who is a member of the Contemporary Quilts group of the Quilters Guild (as am I), and she showed a wide range of quilts from her earliest 1970s Laura Ashley hexagons (we all did them...I still have several examples in a basket somewhere), through to some really very interesting small journal and abstract quilts made more recently.   Her message was, essentially, try new things, try design, try drawing and observation, there are no rules.

I haven't actually done amy quilt-making for quite a while now, but I am beginning to have itchy fingers and I plan to do some serious sewing once the Foundation show is over.  And the BQ group is a nice way to stay in touch, pick up a little inspiration, and share ideas with like-minded obsessives.

No comments:

Post a Comment