Monday 28 May 2012

More filming

Today I had another go at filming my paper strips, having seen how the first efforts came out and having a (slightly) better idea of what kid of images I wanted to create.  I rigged up a kind of stage set in the painting studio with sheets of black card on the floor and making a wall behind, of sheets of card fixed to the edge of a long strong table, which I could stand on to scatter the paper strips.  With assistance from James, who kept a watchful eye on the camera settings and angle, I let the strips fall from about 5ft high, onto the black floor.  They scattered beautifully (it was a slightly higher drop than previously, and a slightly bigger floor area too).  

The resulting film is about 3.41 minutes long, which is about right, and has sharp sound of the paper falling - it sounds a bit like rain.  In fact, the sound is almost too sharp - it was a very hot day and windows were open os there is a slight roar of traffic throughout, enhanced by an emergency siren at one point: I don't know how to deal with this so will accept it and leave it in, as added context.   The angle of the camera is such that the 'horizon', i.e. the edge between the horizontal floor and the vertical backdrop, is almost exactly in the centre of the film, and this enhances the impact of the growing heap of paper, white against the black background.

Here is a still of the paper pile at the end of filming.

I was pleased with the result and I think it will stand well as it is, without any need for editing or further work.  Just a title, which Wesley says he is going to do, constant in style, for all the films to go on the show reel.  


No comments:

Post a Comment