Tuesday 1 May 2012

College, 1st May

After feeling a bit deflated yesterday, I resolved to use this afternoon to try my own kind of 'cut out' method, inspired by looking last night at the work of William Burroughs.  I took one of my A2 card-print pieces from yesterday,


and sliced it randomly through the big guillotine and then arranged the pieces to make a similar shaped piece.



And then I took the pieces and cut them some more, and did it again, and got a more complex arrangement.



And then I scatted them about with less care, so they overlapped and made an irregular shape.


I am not quite sure whether, or how, to take this further....but I have brought them all home and will explore further in the next few days.

Later I had another tutorial session with Abi,  and showed her what I'd done with photocopying small strips of cut-out text on Sunday and she suggested we tried this on the college's bigger A3 printer/copier.  Which we did, and also used some bigger pieces of shredded paper from the college office.

These are the ones with bigger strips... which I rather like, particularly the negative, with black 'ribbons' on a white background.




These are done using my carefully cut lines of text, the first with a background of black card placed on under the lid of the photocopier, so you still see the paper as white with black text, but you also get interesting echoes and shadows where the lid hasn't made complete contact with the screen itself.


This is an 'ordinary' photocopy, just scattering the cut-out words and phrases onto the screen.


These images, especially the ones in negative mode, highlight the negative spaces between the strips of get, and I liked those.  But once again, I've made some interesting images but I can't see quite how I could use these towards a purposeful finished piece.  But this exercise also, helpfully I think, took me one step still further away from the original paper.  However, I am not sure how I could develop this, and I don't want to be constrained to photocopying.  But perhaps there is something there still for me to draw or paint.....

No comments:

Post a Comment