Monday 19 March 2012

Using my paper: printing

Having made quite a large number of sheets of paper, of varying thickness but overall fairly consistent quality, I now need to think about what to do with them.  I have made an attempt at printing.


I first of all made three very simple dry-point plates using the plastic "glass" from some cheap IKEA frames.  I inked here up and printed them on the etching press at college.  Normally you soak the paper for this process.  I tried putting a sheet into the soaking tank - and of course, it instantly started to fall apart:  hand-made paper is not strong enough for this kind of treatment!


So I pressed on using paper I had dampened slightly by wiping it with a damp cloth just before printing.  However, a second problem was that the roles on the press had been adjusted wrongly so that the pressure was uneven, and the prints came out a bit lop-sided.  I quite liked the results, even so - they are rather faint, rather grainy, but work well on some of the first batch of paper, which has quite a lot of tiny bits of text showing randomly here and there.  






I subsequently had another go, once the press had been adjusted correctly, and these were also rather nice.  The images are just very simple scratched scribbles - but they are not unlike some of the 'not-writing' drawings I produced for my Pathway Project.  


I also made some plates using the "poor man's etching" method, i.e. by cutting into the surface of card which I had painted with shellac to give it surface and strength.  I made three small designs, each one based on the idea of tearing something into strips - which is of course what I've been doing with my re-cycled paper.  




These printed pretty well, without me having to dampen the paper much, or at all in some cases.  I think there was quite a lot of ink on the plates - the rough cut surface of the card absorbs quite heavily so there was a good lot to transfer onto the dry paper.  


This time I printed some onto the paper made of clean white copier sheets and - not surprisingly - the results are clear but rather dull.  The prints onto the greyer, grainy, paper with occasional glimpses of the old text, are much better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment