Thursday 15 March 2012

Making Paper Mache

As well as making my own paper from my old history essays and work papers, I have had a go at papier mache.  This has not been so easy, using old printer and photocopy white paper, as my long-ago efforts using newspapers.  I think this is mainly because the white A4 copier paper is fairly strong and rigid, and so even when it has been torn into strips or small pieces and soaked in paste, it is still relatively firm and rigid, and it doesn't want to blend easily.  I used commercial wall paper paste, quite diluted, as the paste medium, and used inflated balloons as the mold or form (and in one case, an upturned kitchen bowl with a shape a bit like a tall "Puritan" hat..  I have ended up with several small bowls, with rather strangely crinkled surfaces, as yet unpainted and unfinished.  I am not at all sure where this might lead.  












However, I have also been thinking about attempting something which is a cross between making paper and making papier mache - i.e. using damp pulp to form shapes which will be 3D but relatively flat, and which use pulp as a sculpting medium, rather thn as a semi-liquid pouring medium.  

No comments:

Post a Comment