Thursday 15 March 2012

Gallery visit: Arnolfini

Today I went to see the current shows at the Arnolfini Gallery in Bristol .  I wasn't terribly impressed.  Shilpa Gupta's exhibition, Someone Else,  consisted of 5 pieces, without much sense of a theme or connection between them.  The gallery's exhibition guide didn't help, being full of rather vacuous phrases which didn't make much sense, nor much relationship to the works on display.  I think the main thread was about space, and the space between things (and between people, or between ideas) but it didn't make much sense to me.


Of the five, I thought The Singing Cloud was the most interesting, an installation of 4,000 quite chunky microphones, bundled together into the shape of a large black cloud, with a sound feed of people, possibly children, talking.  However, I'm not sure that the notes help:  "Singing Cloud considers the psychological impact of today's highly mediated information landscape, be it in the individual or the nation state, where fear and suspicion are cultivated."  What was that?

The other work on show was To The River by Sophie Rickett, a 3-screen video installation with sound track, filmed among people who were waiting in the dark to watch the Severn Bore. The gallery guide palings the work.   This is a still from the film.


I thought the film was too long/slow,  although the lighting effects of filming in almost total darkness produced mysterious shadows and half-formed faces etc.  Alongside this there was an accompanying exhibition of the archive material which formed the background to the piece.  This was a mixture of old books an reports on the geographical phenomenon of the bore, and photos and comments form previous witnesses of the bore.  All nicely mounted and displayed as a coherent group.  I thought this was more interesting than the installation itself.  

Mark had suggested I look at this as a possibly idea for mounting and organising the experimental work for my final project piece.  I could see the connection, bt I'm not are my work would be so coherent brought together this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment