Wednesday 22 February 2012

Paper project

I wanted to make a start on the experimental stage of my final project, just to get my creative juices flowing.  I decided to try making knitted textile from newspaper - why not?

I stitched lines on the paper to strengthen it, up and down in a continuous line, with gaps of about an inch between each line.  


Then I cut up and down between the stitching to make a long 'thread' of strengthened paper.



And then I started knitting, on fairly big, size 3, needles..



I made two test pieces,one in garter stitch (i.e. all 'plain' knitting)


and one in 'stocking stitch (i.e. one row plan, one row purl).


The 'stocking stitch' looks better and has a more regular, smooth texture.  It was surprisingly easy to knit with this 'thread, it didn't break and held it's shape pretty well.  I'm not sure why use this might be, but it was fun to do and got me started.

Next stop, though, is making some paper - fun task for college on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment