Tuesday 7 February 2012

Edinburgh Day 1 8th Feb

Off to temple Meads bright and early to assemble for the 8.30 train to edinburgh.  ugh jostling and fussing over seat reservations, but then almost 7 hours on the train, winding its way across central england and up the North East coast from Durham via Berwick to Edinburgh.  it had been snowing in Yorkshire,  and the weather was fine and bright and crisp, so everything looked wonderfully clear and stark contrast between white fields and dark, skeletal treats and black lines of hedges and roads and fences.




 The railway runs along the coat for quite a long way, so we also had a wonderful panorama of the north Sea, including (I think) Lindisfarne Island and the causeway, at one point (although my geography is a bit thin, and my i-phone wouldn't work to show me the map because of some kind of jamming device on the train).

Once in Edinburgh, we walked to the youth hostel and sorted out rooms, etc, and then I went for a long walk up to the Castle Mound and back again, to get my bearings and to stretch my train-squashed legs.  Supper with others in a pub on the Royal Mile, and home to  a well-earned bed.






No comments:

Post a Comment